The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is the world's largest humanitarian organization, with 190 member National Societies. As part of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, our work is guided by seven fundamental principles; humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity and universality.
Title: Health Education Officer Location: Northern Greece Type of Contract: Fixed term with possibility of Extension
Application Deadline: 18 April 2017
The applications will be processed as they come and the position maybe filled before the deadline
The largest movement of displaced people through Europe’s borders since World War Two occurred in 2015. During that year, 1.1 million crossed into Turkey, and one million migrants made a dangerous journey across the Mediterranean. Around 850 000 crossed via Turkey to Greece. This year, in 2016, several thousands of migrants arrived in Greece and have been unable to travel on through Europe because of closed borders with neighbouring countries.
The Health Education Officer role requires experience in capacity building and working in partnership with other members of the team (national and International, in addressing Hygiene Promotion needs, planning and implementation, and in performance monitoring, evaluation, and reporting (PMER).
Some of the needed tasks:
- Assess the needs and resources required for health Education
- Work together with team members to plan, design and manage the implementation of hygiene promotion measures to address priority public health risks according to the agreed plan.
- Mobilise communities, where appropriate, to organise community HP activities.
- Support the organisation of trainings of community facilitators
- Work together with team members regarding project planning and implementation, including budgeting, and reporting, as appropriate, in developing/adapting hygiene promotion materials for different target groups.
- Monitoring the impact of hygiene promotion activities and distribution of hygiene items at the site and provide regular, timely and accurate information.
- Ensure that hygiene promotion activities at the site are in line with SPHERE standards, Federation WASH and Health & Care policies and national policies.
- Coordinate plans & activities with other members of the Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement (FACT team, other ERUs, Federation, other NS delegates, and RC volunteers) and with other agencies (governmental and non-governmental), as necessary.
- Ensure that the activities and resources are implemented and handed over or ended in a way that promotes local capacities and sustainable operations.
Duties Applicable to All Staff
- Actively work towards the achievement of the needed goals of the organization.
- Abide by and work in accordance with the Red Cross/Red Crescent principles.
- Perform any other work related duties and responsibilities that may be assigned by the line manager.
Requirements for the Role:
- Required Degree in Health, Sanitation, Hygiene promotion, Health Promotion or equivalent
- Strong communication skills (written and spoken)
- Social work and familiarity with community based activities
- Facilitation and organizational skills
- Very good Greek and English languages are required; Arabic Language is preferable
- Experience within the Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement or other Humanitarian Organizations will be preferred
- Good attention to detail
Interested candidates should send English CV and Cover letter to the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org Please mention the Position Title in the subject of the e-mail. Only candidates who have valid work permits will be shortlisted; if they fit the other criteria. All CVs will be treated with strict confidentiality